Labels

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Days With My Father



Days With My Father

Ashim Kumar Paul

Darkness had besieged the open wide field where an around seventeen-year-old boy was sweating his guts to learn riding bicycle. The whole body of the boy was soaked with extreme sweat. “I have to learn tonight, no matter, how much time it may consume”, the boy murmured. His uncle was with him to lend a hand to learn the most ‘important’ skill. Though the HSC examination was knocking at the door, it seemed that the enticement for learning riding bicycle had depleted the necessity to pay attention to the impending examination! The reason behind learning bicycle riding so late was the fear of his father as his father was scared of the safety of his dear son. However, finally the boy could manage to learn riding bicycle following his two day-long endeavour.

The boy was none but me who did learn bicycle riding escaping the eyes of my father since it was a ‘prestige’ issue for me. My friends and classmates always pestered me not to learn how to ride a bicycle. Nothing but shyness would douse me for my ‘incompetency’. When I could override the ineptitude, a stream of ecstasy drenched my soul. But the expertise was exposed to question when I went through an accident at the time of riding bicycle on a busy highway. Although it was not as serious as it could be, I was much frightened. It was because of my father who never liked my bicycle riding. However, in the afternoon, my father returned home and softly said, “You have run into an accident, haven’t you? Did you feel much hurt, or not?” I muttered, “No, it was not so serious.” I sensed to be rebuked but his silent exit relieved me much.

This is my father by whom I have never been reproached for my mistakes. He never imposes his decision upon me. Whatever I wished to study, a strong support came from him. After completing HSC examination when I was stuck to my decision to study in the English department by leaving the allure of becoming doctor or engineer, I feared that my father might go angry to my decision. But to my utter surprise, my dream would not be blown out!

Following completing my graduation when I stepped into Dhaka for higher studies, it was my father who was worried the most about my safety and health. Still whenever I come back to my home, all he inquires first is “Do you suit the weather of Dhaka?” My positive answer rarely eases his apprehension.

It is a common experience that if you stay away from your native friends, you must be willing or tenderly forced to spend more time with them. There is no exception for me. As a result, often it becomes late to return home. But my father, since the clock strikes eight o’ clock, again and again, asks my mother if I have returned yet. Sometimes, he phones me and only asks me in undertone, “Where are you?” That’s it!

Unlike my mother, my father is reticent about expressing his profound feeling for me. Only one or two minutes are the highest call duration of the conversation between us! Never in front of me, has he expressed his joy about my achievements or triumphs. But to his friends and acquaintances, he never hesitates to speak about me though my reluctance doesn’t work here at all!

I dreamt that with the first salary of my job, I would buy something for my family and my dream successfully paid off. When I offered my father the gift for him, he quietly took it. That sight hurt me as I wished to see his unbound delight. The next day when I had a tête-à-tête with my mother, she informed that my father, wearing the dress bought for him, went to the nearby shop to chat with his acquaintances and told them proudly, “This clothe my son has brought for me with the first salary of his job.” A tear rolled down my face.

In my childhood, I went closer to my father to request him to tell me the fairytales when my father used to take a nap after the lunch. He would never discard my plea. Besides, I can still recall the days during Durga Puja. I used to visit the temples with my father. But the golden days have been lost within the cavern of time. Only the leaves of recollections are left for me.

One of the key resemblances between me and my father is that I am as reticent as my father to express my love for him. Both of us fail to exchange our warm and strong feeling for each other. Though I always let him know about my recent feat, it is, indeed, my discomfiture that even in the Father’s Days (observed on the third Sunday of June, celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society), I do not let him hear what my heart always utters: “I love you, my father”. Forgive me, Baba!