Labels

Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mother



My Mother

Ashim Kumar Paul


Ma, one of the shortest words in Bangla language, epitomises the supreme sign of its meaning, dignity, honour, love and passion that remain dormant in every heart. Nothing can be deemed valuable in the world as the very word signifies. A mother’s love is the greatest unconditional and infinite love that we will ever experience in our existence. Therefore, to honour mothers and celebrate motherhood, maternal bonds and the influence of mothers in society, the “International Mother’s Day” is celebrated around the world. It seems to be a universal thing that cultures want to earmark a day every year for honouring the act of motherhood. Though there are many different Mother’s Days celebrated around the world, the most common alternative date is the second Sunday in May.

There are some stories behind the commencement of the celebration of Mother’s day. The more recent history of Mothers Day goes back to 1600s in England. Here, a Mothering Sunday was celebrated annually on the fourth Sunday of Lent (the 40 day period leading up to Easter) to honour mothers. After a prayer service in church to honour Virgin Mary, children brought gifts and flowers to pay tribute to their own mothers. On the occasion, servants, apprentices and other employees staying away from their homes were encouraged by their employers to visit their mothers and honour them. Traditionally, children brought with them gifts and a special fruit cake or fruit-filled pastry called a simnel. Yugoslavs and people in other nations have observed similar days. Custom of celebrating Mothering Sunday died out almost completely by the 19th century. However, the day came to be celebrated again after World War II, when American servicemen brought the custom and commercial enterprises used it as an occasion for sales.

In Bangladesh, people, on the very day, wish their mothers with “Mother's Day gifts” in conjunction with organising assorted programmes paying their deep respect to their mothers and honouring their contributions to society as well. In addition, different government, non-government and socio-cultural organisations take elaborate programmes to mark the day. The programmes include holding discussion, reception and cultural programmes.

However, when I thought of the very day to write, all my interests began to evolve around one face, I like the most---my mother. This write-up aims to accentuate my love, respect and attachment towards my mother as well as every mother on earth.

My mother who was a member among ten offspring family of my grandparents was married off in her early age. After stepping into another big family, consisting of more than ten members, she had gone through enormous experiences regarding many family issues i.e. maintaining an extended family by moderate finance, bringing up her little brothers and sisters-in-laws, doing all household works single-handedly etc. As my grandmother had earlier passed away leaving her four infants, my mother lent her motherly love to rear them up. Notwithstanding her early age and having not enough experience in leading such a big family and its domestic affairs as the head, she would perfectly look after them and still does.

However, anyone in my family I was much scared of in my early days if I did a mistake was no one but my mother! Again, she stood up as the source of my inspiration for any good work. In this regard, I can relate two of my experiences that happened in my boyhood. Perhaps, I was a student of four or five grades at the time when I came across a blissful experience in life. I used to write poems and rhymes in school days but nothing of them paid off to be printed in the newspapers. However, one day I found my poem published in a newspaper! Being excited and thrilled, I rushed to my mother and let her see it. I had a fear whether she would like my writing or not. But my assumption proved wrong as she was quite enthusiastic to find my name and write-up printed on the page of newspaper. Whenever I see the rhyme, I feel her delighted face and find vigour to continue my efforts.

I ran into another experience during my final exam of nine grades. Bangla 2nd paper was scheduled to be held in that very day. That morning, I was patting a knife kept in our kitchen. Suddenly, my left hand got wounded with the edge of the knife. At the very outset, I was caught flat-footed over the accident. But when my mother found my hand incessantly bleeding, she cried out in tears. I was rushed to the chamber of a doctor in front of my house. Taking no notice of my hand, I looked at the eyes of my mother, full of tears. While the doctor was dressing my wounded hand, her eyes were still in full brim of tears. I was frightened of being rebuked for my misdemeanour and accordingly, I kept myself silent. But she began to take care of me instead of bringing me to the book! A tear rolled down my face with her care.

Sometimes, the ways of our life are blocked by several complications and thereby, we think ourselves as the most unfortunate ones. Our hopes are lost and the light of aspiration is turned off. But I strongly believe your woes will be evaporated in this overcast ways of life if you go through the words produced by Abraham Lincoln:  “No man is poor who has a Godly mother”. I never regard myself as the unfortunate one, in truth.