Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Compromising Integrity

Compromising Integrity

About three weeks ago, I went to visit the holy place Shree Shree Loknath Brohamachari Ashram located at Bardi, Narayanganj. I started from my hometown Ishwardi while my uncle, aunt and two of my cousins joined the trip from Dhaka.

After staying at the ashram for two days, we rushed off to Dhaka in order to board a train for Ishwardi. It is comparatively easy to reach our home town Ishwardi by train from stations near Dhaka. So we went to a station adjacent to Dhaka and asked for tickets. The ticket-seller replied that no tickets were available for Ishwardi. I humbly requested him to manage the tickets somehow. Following a long negotiation, he agreed to sell me two tickets, which were reserved for the next station. Finding no other alternative, I had to give extra money to buy the tickets.

Since the train was yet to come, we decided to meet one of our relatives living near the station. When we came back to the station, the train had already arrived and was ready to set off within few minutes. As I was yet to buy a ticket for myself, I rushed to the ticket counter and urged the ticket-seller to give me another ticket beside the first two. To my utter surprise, the ticket, serially next to the other two tickets he had sold me earlier, was destined for our exact destination, Ishwardi! Yet he whisperingly demanded that I should pay an extra amount above the regular fare to get a ticket for Ishwardi. As the train was set on to leave, I gave in under his illegitimate stipulation. We were all very disturbed by the reprehensible practice of the railway clerk and lost our festive mood.

Ashim Kumar Paul
Edward College, Pabna.

Please click the given link to read its internet publication: http://thedailystar.net/magazine/2010/11/03/diary.htm