Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Unfair Fare

Unfair Fare

Photo: Zahedul I Khan
Riding vehicles often creates some bitter or repellent experiences especially if you are on the move via public transport. I too had to confront such a repulsive experience a few months ago. My masi (aunty) and I went to Dhaka via rail-transport with a view to visit her son who is a residential college student in Dhaka.

After stepping out of the railway station, I was looking for a CNG-run autorickshaw at its premises. I congratulated myself on being fortunate enough to catch one within a short moment. But the triumphant feeling did not take much time to be evaporated when we reached our destination. When I paid off the fare that appeared on the metre, the driver insisted on receiving an extra twenty taka from me. The more I reminded him of the rules and regulations ordained by the government lately, the more he became adamant in demanding additional pence and also began to jeer at and curse upon the decision of the government! He even threatened about getting no single CNG-run auto-rickshaw on the street in the coming days if we do not swallow up their deserving exigency. Compelled and embarrassed, I had to pay him what he demanded.

While our legislators are trying to abate the sufferings and harassment of the city-dwellers on streets, this type of mischievous CNG-run cab and auto-rickshaw drivers are, on the other side, found busy inventing new ways of bullying, compelling the passengers to meet their unlawful demand and blocking the transportation privileges as well!

Ashim Kumar Paul
Government Edward College
Pabna

Please click the given link to see its first appearance: http://thedailystar.net/magazine/2011/04/04/dhaka.htm