Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

No Respect for Rules

No Respect for Rules

A few days ago, I had gone to Dhaka just to attend the grand celebration of “Celebrating life-2010” with the theme 'Indomitable Bangladesh'. Notwithstanding some probable difficulties caused by political programmes, I had undertaken the journey. However, while enjoying the lively evening with a bouncy mood, I felt happy to see the patriotic sense of our people, especially that of our youth.

Following the jubilant evening, I headed out for my home by bus. Due to acute drowsiness, I soon fell asleep in the bus. Around two hours later when I woke up, I found the bus had stopped at a filling station. To wake up from my drowsiness, I got down and started walking around the station.

Meanwhile, I went to the fuel bank and began to talk to a staff member of the station. I came to know that the bus was being fuelled by CNG. I was staggered to a great extent since it was about 7 pm but the government has imposed constraint on selling CNG from 3 pm to 9 pm. I asked the vendor how they were doing such a deed that violated the government rules and regulations. He simply replied churi kore dicchi (that he was stealing)! Though his confession was candid and therefore commendable, it is really a matter of shame that all we do is think of ourselves disregarding the interest of our country itself.

Ashim Kumar Paul
Government Edward College, Pabna.

Click the following link to view its first appearance: http://thedailystar.net/magazine/2010/12/03/diary.htm