Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2011

In need is Indeed

In need is Indeed

With the advent, development and implementation of information technology in the banking system, it is now a matter of few seconds to withdraw money if a person has an ATM (Automated Teller Machine) card. Along with the success of the ATM card, many, like me, undergo some undesirable troubles in extracting money from the booth in some bleak moments that eclipse the growing status of this crucial facility.

It was mid-December when my friends invited me to join a recreational excursion in Bandarban, St. Martin and Cox's Bazar. As an ATM card holder of a reputed private bank, I decided to load the expenditures on my ATM card for safe transfer.

Following a dreary journey, I arrived at my friend's dormitory in Dhaka University where the rest of my friends gathered to set off. Since there was no ATM cash point in the hill tract district Bandarban and the coral island St. Martin, I decided to withdraw cash from my ATM card. Before the beginning of our journey to Bandarban via road transport, one of my friends and I watched out for an ATM booth. Within walking distance from the bus station, we found our looked-for cash booth. But we were unfortunate, as we were unable to withdraw our cash due to network-jam. Since there was no cash point nearby, we were, tragically, in a real quandary over the difficulty. Fortunately, other friends retained their money with them and we could ward off some probable hurdles during our tour. If money cannot be withdrawn in needed time, why do the authorities of the banks pledge their support for withdrawing money any time around 24 hours?

Ashim Kumar Paul
Government Edward College, Pabna


Click the given link to view its internet edition: http://thedailystar.net/magazine/2011/05/01/diary.htm