Labels

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Experience of being an Editor

Experience of being an Editor

Ashim Kumar Paul

TODAY I shall share with you one of my unforgettable experiences that linger on even now. It is of being an editor. I often dream of editing a literary magazine that will be a mirror of contemporary literary activities. It will hopefully act as a platform of expression for those who can contribute significantly to our literature. It will work to create a link between the well-famed and new writers. 

Editing, to me, is always a challenging task. It contains an assortment of responsibilities, reverences and sincerity. With this purpose, when I began to make a plan of publishing a magazine, I had to first think how the people could be informed about this periodical that they might send their write-ups. I came up with an idea of giving an advertisement in some popular daily newspapers. To raise funds for my magazine, I along with my few local-mates went to some local Shop-owners to give advertisements in my magazine. Fortunately, we got a hopeful number of advertisements.

After a few days of publishing the notice, the readers as well as the writers began to send theirs writings from different regions to me. It was, truly, a big event in my life. I was overjoyed when I found the writings of some well-known writers. I could see the path of success.
I have forgotten to tell you the name of my little effort. It is 'Moitree' (Friendship). It was published on the occasion of the International Mother Language Day. It was full of various types of articles, for example poems, short stories, essays etc. Most of them were about our language as well as its glorious heritage. I first chose the good write-ups. Unfortunately many writings had been discarded due to the fact that they were not riveting enough. In addition, there was limitation of space in the magazine. However, I made up the rough copy of the periodical and finally prepared it for publishing.

Finally my efforts paid off, as it was the day my magazine Moitree was published. Though my mates and I had to face some unexpected situations and work hard, we forgot our misery as our efforts attained the praiseworthy remarks from the readers as well as the writers. I would like to dedicate all the success of my Moitree to almighty God who always stands by us.

Student, Department of English
Govt. Edward College, Pabna.

Click the link to see the first appearance:Experience of being an Editor